Wow. This is just wow. I can’t even begin to explain it. These have come the closest so far to kicking my original favourite off its high horse.
Where do I begin with these cookies? They are so different to any other recipe for one thing when it comes to classic chocolate chip cookies – I mean let’s see, they:
- Contain a little bit of cream in the batter (which actually resembles a thin brownie batter)
- Has browned butter in it (really? I had not noticed )
- Has a mix of milk and dark chips (oh dear, watch out all you chocolate snobs )
- Has a very different ratio of white to brown sugar – 1 tbs:1/4 cup where as in my limited experience, half or a little under is the norm
I do believe all these differences aid in creating a wonderful complexity in this cookie. There is a slightly nutty depth to them due to the browned butter and the aroma from this cookie is actually intoxicating.
I also realised that the only reason these do not beat my favourite recipe is because of the after-crunch of over sweetness which is the thing I love about Mrs Field’s Cookies and yet couldn’t replicate for the recipe! Aah, the coincidences in life of a chocolate chip lover!
I must also note that this dough was one of the slickest (Grease lightning!) and moistest I have ever come across – when it came to stirring in the chocolate chips, I was actually having a little difficulty since they just would not embed themselves in!
Any changes or tips I made or have?
- I would decrease the amount of brown sugar due to the overwhelming sweetness to approximately 1 cup and 2 tbs instead of an extra 1/4 cup
- The recipe claims to wait 12-15 minutes for the baking time but mine were done in 8 minutes (less than all other cookies)
- It is true, these do not spread much, but I literally flattened it by the lightest feather touch and they turned out exactly the shape I desired
- When browning butter: I believe it to be a little bit like making caramel – let the butter melt and bubble and keep swirling occasionally so it doesn’t stick – once the butter is foaming and you cannot see its liquid, run a spoon through to see if it has turned brown – it should also have a distinct nutty aroma which is why these cookies made my kitchen smell like heaven!
My first brown butter recipe: Brown butter berry bars
Find this recipe right here!
Up Next: Eggless Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies
P.S – Sorry there is no photo of the browned butter but it can burn in the blink of an eye and I cannot multitask so yet!
P.P. S – Here is a photo of my formal gown and shoes since it was requested